Friday, December 9, 2016

Week 13 Building your relationship with (or in spite of) your in-laws

I found this quote this afternoon and I think it definitely addresses this issue.
Source
As I was reading about creating healthy relationships with in-laws and extended family all I could thing was, “Well, we certainly did that wrong!” Not that my husband and I don’t have good relationships with our in-laws, we do, but we did almost everything they caution against!

In the chapter I read this week was a quote from Spencer W. Kimball. In that he said, 
“Couples do well to immediately find their own home, separate and apart from that of the in-laws on either side.” (Harper and Olsen, 2005 p.328) 
Yep, that’s where we went wrong.

My husband and I met in college. We met within the first few weeks of school, we were engaged by Christmas break, and we got married the following August. (Yes, I know that’s a long engagement by Mormon standards. We should’ve gotten married in May with everyone else who got engaged that year!) While we were engaged, we decided that we wanted to attend the family ward rather than the married student ward after we got married. It was great and we didn’t have to deal with the constant, “Are you pregnant yet?” from everyone else. But, it was the same ward his family was in; the same ward he grew up in. His parents only lived a few blocks away. Even after we moved into a rental house a few years into our marriage, we were still in the same ward.

Now, my in-laws did a great job of trying not to smother us or anything, but I had a hard time making friends in the ward because we were always with his parents at any church function. Thinking back, it was really hard. Most holidays were spent with them because we were poor college students and most years we couldn’t afford to do anything else. We even had every Sunday dinner at their house! Not that I didn’t enjoy that, heck I prefer someone else’s cooking over almost any other meal! But it did put a damper on us working out our own couple dynamic.

For the first 12 years of our marriage we lived there, in the same town, same ward as my in-laws. Even so, there were bumps along the way. My husband’s brother got married 7 months after we did. He had been a rebellious teenager and turned his life around to get married in the temple, which was great, but kind of stole our thunder as the newlyweds. I’m not sure how my husband felt, but I got the impression that we weren’t as important when they were around. That feeling lasted when, after they moved away and had kids, we would get impression that we weren’t as welcome when they and their kids were visiting. Not that anything was said to that effect, just the feeling that we should not come over as often when they were in town…and definitely not uninvited!

After living with that for 12 years, my husband (finally!) graduated from college and we moved on to our “real” life…moving to the same ward my parents lived in. Yep, we obviously don’t learn! We actually only lived in their ward (and in their house for about 10 months) for 2 years, but even after purchasing our home, we were still close enough that we got together frequently. I think, because we did not live by them for the first 12 years we were married, our relationship was better (especially my husband with my dad) because we were able to have that time to be more independent of my parents. My parents seemed to realize that we had our own lives and may not always be there when they desired. We did still do Sunday dinners with them but it was on more equal footing. One week we would go to their house, one week they’d come to our house.

Last year, my parents moved to Phoenix. Now we really have to be independent! There is no one around to lean on anymore. It only took us almost 23 years of marriage to get to that point!

Now, we are entering a different phase of life. Our oldest son turns 22 next week, has returned from his mission and is enjoying school at BYUI and our 19-year-old daughter is enjoying her first year at BYU. They could be making us in-laws sooner than we may wish. This chapter has been great in making me think of all the things I should or should not do when that happens.

This week we read chapter 37, “Creating healthy ties with in-laws and extended families” by J. M. Harper and S. F. Olsen, out of the book Helping and Healing our Families. Some quotes that I want to remember as I am entering this new phase of life include,

“Strong marriages are built by what couples choose to do once they are married and by what parents and siblings on both sides do to help support them.” (p. 331) 
“It is important for parents-in-law to find ways to personally build relationships with their children-in-law as individuals…The burden of acceptance rests with parents-in-law in these situations. Children-in-law want nothing more than to be accepted and respected.” (p. 331) 
“Gloria Horsley listed five things that every parent-in-law should avoid. They are giving advice, criticizing, pinning down children-in-law as to the specific reasons they are missing a family event, criticizing or taking over the disciplining of grandchildren, trying to control everyone and everything including children’s beliefs, and unclear and indirect communication. Conversely, when parents-in-law do things right, their influence is remembered and felt long after they are gone.” (p. 332)

I hope that I will be able to be an in-law who respects my children’s relationships with their spouses and their other extended families. If our families are going to be forever, we had better learn to get along now.

Reference
Harper, J. M., & Olsen, S. F. (2005) Creating healthy ties with in-laws and extended families. In C. H. Hart, L. D. Newell, E. Walton, & D. C. Dollahite (Eds.), Helping and Healing our Families (pp. 327-334). Salt Lake City, UT: Deseret Book Company

No comments:

Post a Comment